Monday, August 11, 2014

My Weight Loss Journey: Day 150

Hey all, I am back and I have good news that I would like to share with you all-I did it. I accomplished my 3rd personal goal and I am working on my 4th personal weight loss goal. I currently weigh 227lbs, which means that I have lost a total of 24lbs in 17 weeks of attending Weight Watchers. I am also very close to being back at my pre-baby weight, and I am so excited because I did not think that I would get back to my pre-baby weight before I started on this journey. My 4th weight loss is to lose 10% of my body weight (25lbs), so I have really been working hard this week to make sure I meet my 4th goal. So many people at my job have been telling me that my hard work is paying off and that I look good; but all I see when I look in the mirror is a body that can look better, a body that can be better, a body that needs more work. 

When I decided to join Weight Watchers and start my own personal journey (instead of watching others go on extraordinary journeys), I really did not believe that it would work because I had done every fad diet that came out. And I know what you guys are thinking, you are a doctor and you should know that there is no quick fix to anything, and I do. But I am still human and I wanted the easy way out, the quick way out; when in reality it took years for me to put the weight on so it is going to take time and hard work to get it off. What society does not realize or understand about gaining weight is that it is so not about the food, well not all about the food. The foods that I chose to eat in the past (sometimes in the present too) was comfort for me; when things got too hard, when I was not accepted by someone, or when I was not viewed as the best I would turn to food. And the reason that I did that was because food never let me down, so to speak. The food will fill you up and it taste sooooooo good (well the kind of food that I would eat). But after I ate the food I would feel bad because I knew that I should not be eating it and the cycle would start all over again. So, gaining weight is mostly mental and if you are not mentally tough life will take you down. I can honestly say that in some areas of my life I am not mentally tough, and for me to acknowledge that is an accomplishment all in it's self. I fall short in so many areas of my life but I put this wall up to the world and I act like I am so tough and together, when in reality I feel like a fake. But what I am learning from this process is that you don't give up, no matter how many times to fall short, you get up and continue to take 1 step at a time. The key to it is not to beat your self up for falling down, but just acknowledge that you have fallen, get back up and continue to move forward on the right path (the right path is the path that you will succeed on-you not the Joneses).

As you can see I am learning alot on this journey; what is even more important is that I am realizing that I must accept my faults (all of them) and continue to move forward no matter what. The bible tells me that I can do all things through God that strengthen me; it tells me that God will give me the strength to do all things. What it doesn't say is that I have to use my own strength, and that is what I have been trying to do for my entire life (but I call myself a Christian). See, falling short; but I do believe God's word but I must believe it with everything because that is what God means when he says to transform your mind. God has been here with me every step and in every situation, and I know that He will continue to be here, but He still wants me to be apart because He wants to use me to do amazing things in this world. God wants me to be a doer of His word and while on this journey I can truly say that I am learning how to be a doer of God's word one step, one situation, and one pray at a time.

Well, I just shared another personal part of my journey and I still have so many more layers to shed. Please share your journey or encouragement, because you never know who you will inspire to do and be great. Until next time........   

No comments: